The Boys & Girls Clubs of America's tradition of service to the nation's youth began in 1860, when the first Boy's Club was established in Hartford, Connecticut. The organization has grown to serve more than 4 million youth annually in over 4,000 Boys & Girls Clubs organizations across the country.
The Boy's Club of Martinez was founded in 1955 by a small group of key community leaders who felt the city had a need for a place young boys could go after school and in the summer and get positive reinforcement in an open, accepting environment. It was a place that all boys could be assured that regardless of their abilities, they received the support to develop and enhance themselves. As the Club's partnership with the City of Martinez strengthened, it was relocated to the facility that the Boys & Girls Clubs of Diablo Valley calls home. As the community grew and developed, the Boy's Club of Martinez acknowledged the need that girls also wanted and needed a Club; as a result, the Boy's Club of Martinez became the Boys & Girls Club of Martinez.
Today the Club has become the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Diablo Valley, in recognition and response to the increasing needs of the young people of the central Contra Coast County communities and beyond. It continues to provide services at the Martinez Clubhouse; while preparing to implement a strategic plan that calls for achieving the existing capacity of the Martinez Clubhouse, expansion of services onto identified local school campuses, and expansion into the communities between Martinez and Dublin.